Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Another UFO finished



I'm so excited! I've been working on this one for a couple of months now and am so glad to have it done!




Here is a closeup of one of the center blocks so you can see the quilting on it. I like to have a combination of straight lines and curved motifs for the quilting on most of my quilts.




To the left is a closeup of the 1/2 square motif that I used. When viewed from even a short distance, it looks like a fancy curlique motif fills the white zig zag when in reality it's a series of 1/2 square motifs. I was too chicken to try to draw in my own design that had to make that many turns!


I was going to quilt this top for my niece's wedding present last November, but my daughter said that she was hoping this one would stay at our house because she loves it. I decided right then that this will be her wedding present some day, or perhaps her housewarming gift when she gets her own apartment.
I got this idea looking at log cabin settings...I don't particularly like to make log cabin blocks, but Amish Bar blocks also work in this setting. It's the "frame" setting so I had to find something to go in the middle. I LOVE this particular block. It's fun to make and really is striking finished, yet quite simple to do as well.

In the course of doing this, I realized how quickly we could be having weddings popping up, not only with our own children but nieces and nephews as well, so I have wedding quilts on the brain. I had Rebekah help me pick out a pattern for hers, with the caveat that should she change her mind (or her young man not like it) that I could surely make another.

Lately whenever anyone asks "who's that one for?" my answer is usually "for me!"...something it took years for me to do. Several of our friends and family don't get how I could make quilts without a designated purpose, but my purpose is clear to me. The creative outlet and sense of utter peace I get when quilting is hard to explain, but I know many reading here totally get it.

The new frame quilt will soon get some attention. The first needle is threaded and the knot popped into place, it's just waiting for me to have some time...probably later today.

After the crazy busy-ness of the past couple of weeks, I barely know what to do with myself. It's a wonderful feeling to have a day stretching in front of you and being able to choose what goes in it.

My day today includes a perm, some quilting, and practice tonight along with my regular tasks of the day. Just the kind of busy day that I like!

Happy quilting!

5 comments:

~Bren~ said...

That turned out GORGEOUS!!! I LOVE that one too. It "appears" to have a scalloped edge, even though it doesn't...how cool. Which one is in the frame?

Belvie said...

Oh my...that's a beautiful quilt!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

It's really beautiful. I love the quilting motif...I have that one somewhere in my books. It really works in the zigzag!

Andrea said...

Its beautiful. I absolutely love the settingyou've done. Your quilting is fantastic too. A job well done !

Solstitches said...

Wow! That is a gorgeous quilt! No wonder your daughter didn't want you to give it away.

Margaret